Have you ever wondered what God believes a church must be?
This is one picture of the church from God’s Word: “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” (Acts 2: 42)
Our short DCPI Definition of Church according to the Word of God:
“A church is a group of believers in Christ who meet for biblical worship, learning and mission.”
I studied our short version and our longer version that is more in depth biblically. From these two, I identified the steps a leader would have to take to plant a biblical Church.
It turned out to be 7 Simple Steps. If you can take these 7 Simple Steps, you can plant a church!
- GATHER believers in Christ and meet regularly. No number is given for the size of a church in the Bible.
- Above all, LOVE people inside and outside the group.
- LEAD the group with at least two leaders.
- LEARN from the Word of God and the Spirit of God in your group.
- Reach and DISCIPLE people inside and outside the group for Christ and the church.
- Honor and WORSHIP the Lord through singing, prayer, giving and practicing spiritual gifts.
- RACTICE the Lord’s Supper and Baptism.
If you take these 7 Simple Steps, your group is a church as the Lord defined ‘church’ in his Word.
Is God leading you to start a new church? Can you gather a group that loves, has at least two leaders, learns from the Word and the Spirit, makes disciples, worships the Lord through singing, prayer, giving and practicing spiritual gifts, and practices the Lord’s Supper and Baptism?
If you can do these 7 Simple Steps, you can plant a church! You can do it!
Until the whole world knows Him!
President and Founder